TRL - Senior Pavement Engineer
- Industry Sector:
- South East England, West Midlands
About The Role
The Senior Pavement Engineer actively contributes to TRL’s strategic objective of continuing the growth of its pavement engineering business, through leading and delivering research and consultancy to customers across the public and private sectors.
Key Duties / Responsibilities
The position is primarily responsible for delivering research and consultancy in the areas of pavement performance, pavement design and materials - the development and/or assessment of pavement maintenance options, and the development of standards and advice. The role will require you to build relationships with stakeholders in the highways sector across the UK and internationally, to identify, win and deliver projects through innovative thinking and by identifying commercial opportunities.
Skills & Experience
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate skills and experience in the following areas:
- Substantial experience of pavement design and assessment and development of maintenance treatments.
- A track record in technical delivery of research and consultancy work
- Ability to design and lead forensic pavement investigations
- Able to proactively seek business opportunities
- An excellent working knowledge of DMRB (Vol. 7) and MCHW
- An in depth knowledge of pavement assessment techniques and analysis
- Knowledge of the fundamental principles behind pavement and foundation design
- Knowledge of Value Management and Value Engineering processes in a pavement engineering context
- A good awareness and knowledge of Health, Safety and Environmental issues.
- A good awareness and knowledge of Quality Assurance requirements.
All applicants must be prepared to work flexibly and be willing to work overseas on occasion if required
Educated to degree level or higher in an engineering or Science discipline. Ideally you will have membership of an appropriate professional institution.
Eligible candidates should demonstrate strong communication skills, including the ability to prepare high quality Technical reports and present work at seminars and conferences
At TRL we offer a competitive benefits package including:
- Support for professional memberships and study
- Non-contributory pension
- 25 days annual leave
- Life Assurance cover and Group Income Protection
- Flexible working hours
- Flexible benefits package (including things such as child care vouchers, discounted gym membership etc.)
TRL, the UK's Transport Research Laboratory, provides impartial world-class research, consultancy, testing and certification for all aspects of transport. Commercially independent, we work with public and private sector organisations to help understand, shape and inform transport decisions across the globe. With over 80 years of experience and knowledge embedded within our history we still work in the traditional areas of road and vehicle safety, highway engineering and maintenance, but our knowledge and experience has expanded to include new facets such as sustainability, attitudes and behaviours, simulation and modelling, carbon reduction and standards and specifications. Our expertise is also increasingly being transferred successfully to new sectors including connected and autonomous vehicles, ultra-low emission vehicles, smart cities and energy.
As part of a major expansion to our global presence we’re currently recruiting experienced professionals and recent graduates across the Engineering disciplines. Immediate opportunities exist for Civil Engineers with specialisations across Highways Engineering and Structures, and Automotive Mechanical, Electronics and Software Engineers for a broad range of research and consultancy projects spanning the Automotive and Rail domains. Positions can be based from one of our UK offices in Birmingham, Manchester, Bristol, Edinburgh or Wokingham Berkshire, or overseas from our entities in India and the Middle East.
With customers in over 140 countries we encourage applications from those who enjoy overseas travel and are also keen to develop relationships with independent Associates to work in partnership with our project teams. Our Graduate Development Programme is spread over a 2 year period and supplements time spent working within your chosen specialisation with a rotational element. Further support and mentoring for Professional Development is available to all staff via accredited schemes with the IMechE, IET and ICE with support from TRL’s Academy. We offer a flexible benefits package including a non-contributory pension, 25 days annual leave, Life Assurance cover and Group Income Protection, and flexible working hours.