TRL - Principal Pavement Materials Engineer
- Industry Sector:
- South East England, West Midlands
About The Role
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Pavement Materials engineer to take a lead role in delivering, and growing, our portfolio of pavement engineering research and consultancy projects both in the UK and overseas. The role will include forensic investigations of pavement failures, assessment of new materials and techniques and the development of standards and advice. Ideally with a specialism in asphalt materials, the role will suit an accomplished individual with a portfolio of projects behind them - equally happy within a work winning and project delivery role.
Key Duties / Responsibilities
This role will actively contribute to TRL’s strategic objective of continuing the growth of its pavements research and consultancy business through:
- Leading the technical delivery of pavements research and consultancy projects for UK customers, both public and private sector, and for overseas customers in Europe, Africa, Middle East and Asia;
- Proactively identifying and pursuing new business opportunities and participating in planned business development events;
- Further developing TRL’s pavement materials offering through innovative thinking and mentoring of junior staff;
- Developing positive relationships with partners and clients;
- Leading / contributing to the writing of reports to TRL’s standards and client satisfaction; and
- Contributing to proposal writing and tender submissions.
Skills & Experience
This is a key role for a recognised expert in the pavement materials sector with a strong background in research and/or consultancy. The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate skills and experience in the following areas:
- Track record of leading the technical delivery of pavement materials projects
- Able to proactively seek business opportunities
- Ability to design and lead forensic pavement investigations
- Ability to work flexibly and willingness to work overseas if required
- Excellent networking skills
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral)
- Recognised expert in the design and performance assessment of road construction materials
- In-depth knowledge of British and European pavement material standards and specifications
- Knowledge of DMRB and MCHW
- Experience of innovation in road construction materials (e.g. low temperature, low noise, increased durability, recycling, self-healing)
- Experience of pavement design
Educated to degree level or higher in an engineering discipline or equivalent – the successful applicant is likely to be an active member of an appropriate professional institution (e.g. IAT, ICE)
Eligible candidates must be able to demonstrate fluency in both verbal and written English.
At TRL we offer a competitive benefits package including:
- Support for professional memberships and study
- Non-contributory pension
- 25 days annual leave
- Life Assurance cover and Group Income Protection
- Flexible working hours
- Flexible benefits package (including things such as child care vouchers, discounted gym membership etc.)
TRL, the UK's Transport Research Laboratory, provides impartial world-class research, consultancy, testing and certification for all aspects of transport. Commercially independent, we work with public and private sector organisations to help understand, shape and inform transport decisions across the globe. With over 80 years of experience and knowledge embedded within our history we still work in the traditional areas of road and vehicle safety, highway engineering and maintenance, but our knowledge and experience has expanded to include new facets such as sustainability, attitudes and behaviours, simulation and modelling, carbon reduction and standards and specifications. Our expertise is also increasingly being transferred successfully to new sectors including connected and autonomous vehicles, ultra-low emission vehicles, smart cities and energy.
As part of a major expansion to our global presence we’re currently recruiting experienced professionals and recent graduates across the Engineering disciplines. Immediate opportunities exist for Civil Engineers with specialisations across Highways Engineering and Structures, and Automotive Mechanical, Electronics and Software Engineers for a broad range of research and consultancy projects spanning the Automotive and Rail domains. Positions can be based from one of our UK offices in Birmingham, Manchester, Bristol, Edinburgh or Wokingham Berkshire, or overseas from our entities in India and the Middle East.
With customers in over 140 countries we encourage applications from those who enjoy overseas travel and are also keen to develop relationships with independent Associates to work in partnership with our project teams. Our Graduate Development Programme is spread over a 2 year period and supplements time spent working within your chosen specialisation with a rotational element. Further support and mentoring for Professional Development is available to all staff via accredited schemes with the IMechE, IET and ICE with support from TRL’s Academy. We offer a flexible benefits package including a non-contributory pension, 25 days annual leave, Life Assurance cover and Group Income Protection, and flexible working hours.