TRL - Asset Management – Practice Lead
- Industry Sector:
- South East England, West Midlands
About The Role
We have a new opportunity for an Asset Management Technical Director with significant experience in the highways sector. The successful candidate will provide technical support to various clients in the UK and overseas. The role will primarily be concerned with the use of asset data for whole life cost and cost-benefit analyses for maintenance programme identification and development, performance reporting and maintenance budget analyses. This will include data analysis, project planning, including support for bidding, and delivery of project outputs. Current projects include support for clients with the use and development of their asset management systems, maintenance scheme analyses as part of the development of annual and multi-year maintenance programmes, assessment of the benefits provided by a road network and development of whole life cost models for road networks.
Key Duties / Responsibilities
- This role will actively contribute to TRL’s strategic objective of continuing the growth of its surface transport asset management business through:
- Leading the development and delivery of sustainable programmes of asset management work in the UK and overseas;
- Identifying and pursuing new business opportunities;
- Enhancing TRL’s capabilities through innovative thinking, new service / product development and mentoring of teams;
- Establishing an industry-wide reputation for academic and technical excellence.
- The work will involve leading the technical aspects of the delivery of research and consultancy projects for UK customers such as the Highways England, Transport Scotland, local authorities and private sector, and for overseas customers in Europe, Africa, Middle East and Asia.
Skills & Experience
This is a key role for a recognised thought leader working within the highways asset management sector - either in research or consultancy. The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate skills and experience in the following areas:
- Research and consulting experience in road asset management and asset systems
- In-depth knowledge and experience of working with UK road sector clients including the Highways England, Transport for London, Transport Scotland, Department for Transport and Local Authorities.
- Excellent interpersonal, organisational and communication skills
- Highly developed research and analytical skills
- Expertise in modelling asset performance (deterioration and operation) and understanding and applying innovative data analysis techniques
- Experience in a project technical lead role.
- Knowledge of BIM Level 2 standards, in the context of the practical application of Asset Information Management
- Experience of operational asset management and understanding of the ISO55000 requirements for highway authorities
Honours degree (2.1) or above in a science, computing or engineering discipline. Membership of the Chartered Institute of Highways and Transportation, Institution of Civil Engineers, Institute of Asset Management or a relevant higher degree or technical qualification would be highly desirable.
Eligible candidates must be able to demonstrate fluency in both verbal and written English.
At TRL we offer a competitive benefits package including:
- Support for professional memberships and study
- Non-contributory pension
- 25 days annual leave
- Life Assurance cover and Group Income Protection
- Flexible working hours
- Flexible benefits package (including things such as child care vouchers, discounted gym membership etc.)
TRL, the UK's Transport Research Laboratory, provides impartial world-class research, consultancy, testing and certification for all aspects of transport. Commercially independent, we work with public and private sector organisations to help understand, shape and inform transport decisions across the globe. With over 80 years of experience and knowledge embedded within our history we still work in the traditional areas of road and vehicle safety, highway engineering and maintenance, but our knowledge and experience has expanded to include new facets such as sustainability, attitudes and behaviours, simulation and modelling, carbon reduction and standards and specifications. Our expertise is also increasingly being transferred successfully to new sectors including connected and autonomous vehicles, ultra-low emission vehicles, smart cities and energy.
As part of a major expansion to our global presence we’re currently recruiting experienced professionals and recent graduates across the Engineering disciplines. Immediate opportunities exist for Civil Engineers with specialisations across Highways Engineering and Structures, and Automotive Mechanical, Electronics and Software Engineers for a broad range of research and consultancy projects spanning the Automotive and Rail domains. Positions can be based from one of our UK offices in Birmingham, Manchester, Bristol, Edinburgh or Wokingham Berkshire, or overseas from our entities in India and the Middle East.
With customers in over 140 countries we encourage applications from those who enjoy overseas travel and are also keen to develop relationships with independent Associates to work in partnership with our project teams. Our Graduate Development Programme is spread over a 2 year period and supplements time spent working within your chosen specialisation with a rotational element. Further support and mentoring for Professional Development is available to all staff via accredited schemes with the IMechE, IET and ICE with support from TRL’s Academy. We offer a flexible benefits package including a non-contributory pension, 25 days annual leave, Life Assurance cover and Group Income Protection, and flexible working hours.