Ocado - Controls Engineer
- Industry Sector:
- Instrumentation & Control Systems
- South East England
Closing date: 30 Jun 2017
Hours: 42 hours per week
Contract type: Full-time
Ocado is the world’s largest dedicated online grocery supermarket, unique and completely independent focusing on the home delivery of high-quality food, drink and household goods. We’ve won countless consumer awards for our incredible, customer-centric business.
Our Engineering team are at the forefront of our Customer Fulfilment Centres, ensuring that our technology continually beats the competition.
Working in our brand new highly automated warehouse you will be using the latest versions of Ocado’s cutting edge hardware and software.
As the Controls/PLC Engineer you will be our front line support with any controls system related issues. Using your expert technical knowledge and people skills to coach the Engineering team and improve their diagnostic skills to identify controls issues.
“We’re In It Together” so a hands on approach is a must.
What do we need?
- Good technical ability relating to automation hardware and software, this may include, but is not limited to:
- Excellent working knowledge of Control Systems
- HNC Engineering or equivalent
- Engineering Technician Apprenticeship
- Manufacturers PLC training and appropriate experience
- PLC and Controls & Electrical and/or mechanical skills preferably gained in an FMCG background to at least NVQ 3
- Sound analytical skills, good problem solver.
- Online code monitoring / modification / development with Siemens S7 300/400 PLCs
- A good understanding of PLC control system architecture and field control devices.
- Experience in Warehousing / distribution / logistics / airports / production lines.
- Working with tote and pallet conveyors.
- Good communication skills both verbal and written and good interpersonal skills, able to analyse and impart knowledge.
- Good organisational ability, able to prioritise.
- Self motivated, consistent and able to work at pace.
- Computer literate in MS office package, ability to use a computerised maintenance management system (CMMS).
- Physically able to carry out engineering activities within the Warehouse (CFC)
- English Language ability such that able to read and understand safety information, technical manuals and data, and communicate clearly with colleagues to enable a safe environment.
"Ocado has invested over the last fifteen years to create the best grocery e-commerce solution in the world. From our user-friendly mobile interface to our highly efficient automated warehouse technology, we can now offer this best-in-class customer experience and highly efficient end-to-end supply chain solution to retail partners globally. As a solutions business we are entirely focused on helping our partners build winning grocery e-commerce businesses in their markets."
Luke Jensen, CEO - Ocado Smart Platform
Ocado is the world’s largest dedicated online grocery retailer with over 500,000 active customers shopping with us today.
Currently there are three large highly automated fulfilment centres in, Hatfield (300,000 sq ft), Dordon nr Tamworth (330,000 sq ft) and most recently Andover (240,000 sq ft (over 5 floors). We also have many smaller 'spoke' sites dotted across the UK to help us ease distribution and extend our services to as many locations as possible.
The business is already quickly outgrowing our current fulfilment operation and the setup of a fourth highly automated site is well under way. Our brand new 563,000 sq ft Customer Fulfilment Centre in Erith, Kent will incorporate the latest, most advanced versions of Ocado’s FMCG robotics hardware and software.
Ocado Engineering in the leading innovation behind this extraordinary distribution model, encompassing design, development, construction and maintenance. We are looking for the most skilled and experienced staff across all aspects of engineering as well as the best entry level and graduate talent looking to develop their careers.