Heathrow - Engineering Technician
- Industry Sector:
- Mechanical, Transportation
Deliver a safe high quality, reliable engineering and maintenance service to the rail assets of Heathrow Airport. This includes completion of work in accordance with legislative standards, best practice, company polices and processes, whilst placing the passenger and Customer at the heart of everything we do, making every journey better.
- Undertake planned and reactive maintenance tasks on assets in accordance with allocated target dates to maximise availability and meet agreed service levels, work in accordance with the approved safety management system.
- Continually improve asset performance by investigating faults or poor performing assets and implement appropriate remedial action.
- Timely completion of work orders and accurate capture of maintenance history (work orders, spares information and similar) and update other records to meet business, regulatory & statutory requirements.
- Work safely at all time and adhere to procedures and proactively play an active part of driving a positive health and safety culture for all.
- Coach and train others including colleagues and apprentices to share learning and best practice amongst the team.
- Utilise current and emerging technologies to support the business driving efficiency, including mobile devices and software.
- Undertake all duties with consideration of asset management best practice, whole life cost and identification of improvements to maintenance practice.
- Responsible for the identification and timely ordering of spares and replacement defective components.
- Flexible in approach to working across a variety of Rail Engineering locations and departments as the business need requires at Heathrow.
- Be Responsible for personal appearance, including PPE and work wear including ordering of work wear and PPE through company processes.
- Responsible for good attendance at work and accurate completion of timesheets, including attendance at team meetings, briefings etc.
- Responsible for the safe and effective acceptance handover of minor works.
- Responsible for ensuring skills and competencies required to perform technician duties are maintained through identification of requirements, attendance at training courses and participation in competency management activities.
- Provide an excellent customer experience by communicating with key stakeholders, including rail passengers, to update as required using various mediums available.
- Actively participate in own personal development.
Qualifications and Experience
- City and Guilds or ONC/HNC appropriate Engineering discipline. Core disciplines being Electrical, Mechanical, Electronic, Signalling, Power, Control Systems.
- Accredited Technician apprenticeship scheme or equivalent experience.
- Full UK driving licence is desirable, including the ability to obtain and maintain airside licences and permits.
- Completion of relevant & related skills training.
Framework and Boundaries
- Heathrow airport campus.
- Ability to obtain and maintain airside pass.
- To use the required communications devices at all times whilst on duty.
- As a safety critical role within Rail, this position is subject to both for cause and random drugs and alcohol testing.
- Works to high standards, takes real pride in doing a good job
- Understands key goals/ standards/ procedures & follows them properly
- Takes responsibility for making decisions and getting things done
Put Passengers and Customers First
- Takes a pride in delivering high levels of passenger/customer service
- Makes constructive suggestions to improve the standard and quality of service
- Understands team targets and KPIs
- Aware of own impact on team KPIs/ business finances and how money can be saved or wasted
- Notices & reports issues that could create a poor impression of rail and Heathrow Airport.
Take the Lead
- Sets a positive example of professional behaviour for colleagues
- Others look up to them
- Frequently shares own experience to help less experienced colleagues get up to speed
- Considers own impact on other colleagues’ work
- Communicates with other teams and is considerate of their impact on that team’s work
- Takes personal responsibility to complete their tasks.
- Asks constructive questions about why things are done in a certain way
- Confident to challenge when something is wrong/ not working properly
It’s hard to overestimate the scale of Heathrow. With four operating terminals, two runways, 80 airlines and 185 destinations, we’re the biggest airport in the UK. We’re also one of the busiest in the world. In 2016, more than 75 million passengers and 1.5 million tonnes of cargo passed through our doors. Since 2003, we’ve invested £11 billion and worked tirelessly to develop and expand our terminals and infrastructure. We’ve built Terminals 2 and 5, refurbished Terminals 3 and 4 and closed Terminal 1. This investment is working – at the World Airport Awards, we were named the ‘Best Airport in Western Europe’ by passengers. It’s a great achievement. But we’re also fiercely determined to build on our success so we can make the Heathrow passenger experience even better than ever.
About the role
This position is all about training and development. From day one, you’ll be working towards not just engineering management roles at Heathrow, but also full chartered status. Working to an externally accredited competency framework, you’ll receive exceptional training and on-the-job coaching from experienced professionals. And you won’t just pick up experience in one area: you’ll build your skills working with a range of teams right across the airport. You’ll also have real responsibility right from the start. That’s because as an Engineering Professional Development Trainee you won’t be held back: you’ll have the same level of responsibility as fully trained professionals, but with a smaller workload, which will increase as you progress. For most people, the training period will last three years, and when you finish, you’ll have the skills and experience to progress into a whole range of permanent engineering positions. The choice is yours.
The ideal candidate for this role will have achieved a 2:1 or higher in BEng Electrical/Electronics, BEng Civil Engineering or BEng Mechanical Engineering. A MEng qualification would be an added bonus, and would help accelerate your progress to chartered status. You should also have excellent IT skills, including full MS Office proficiency and data manipulation skills. Ideally, you will also have a relevant internship or work experience placement under your belt too. To find out more and apply, please visit heathrow.com/jobs. Or, for more information, please contact email@example.com