About Ultra Electronics Command & Sonar Systems
Ultra Electronics Command & Sonar Systems (CSS) provides a variety of electronic products for military applications including naval combat management systems, gun fire control systems, electro-optic systems, cameras, data distribution systems, weapon interfacing electronics, Sonar Systems & Decoy Systems. In addition CSS has moved into a Prime Contract Management role providing whole platform solutions.
Function of the Role
The Systems function provides Systems Engineering expertise to all projects from the bid & development lifecycle all the way up to entry into service. It then supports the through life Engineering team, managing obsolescence and ongoing product development until disposal.
About the Department
Systems Engineering defines and manages the requirement definition, implementation, verification and validation of a complex solution to ensure it fulfils the result, outcome or effect that is intended, where the requirement should be an unambiguous statement of the capability that the system must deliver.
The Purpose of the Role:
A Systems Engineer will conduct systems engineering activities, either alone on a small project or as part of a larger project team, adhering to Engineering Function processes or project specific tailoring of those processes. Systems Engineers will create and sustain successful, purposeful, systems that:
- Relate to the development and delivery of goods and services,
- Deliver real benefits to the company, suppliers and customers,
- Works with all technical domains, and all business functions.
A Systems Engineer may also be required to undertake roles such as Project Engineering Lead, Work Package Manager or Lab Manager with associated responsibilities and accountabilities.
A Systems Engineer will be responsible for :
- Delivering allocated tasks within budget and to timescales as agreed with the project management team,
- Conducting Systems Engineer tasks throughout the systems lifecycle,
- System testing and reporting,
- Configuration and Data Management,
- Training and Development:
- Maintain and develop your own functional skills relevant to the systems discipline,
- Identify own training needs and develop your personal career path to support the personal development process.
- Adhere to the company’s systems engineering processes and procedures,
- Supporting the safety verification process as required,
- Supports Bids by providing input on technical solutions, estimates and plans.
A Systems Engineer will be accountable for:
- Providing regular and clear technical progress reports to project management,
- Acting as a team player who recognises impact of own performance and behaviour in the wider team.
- Generating, understanding and reviewing user requirements documentation:
- Writing the project System Requirements Specifications,
- Developing and documenting the System architecture,
- Developing and documenting the systems design through System Design Specifications and Interface Specifications,
- Defining the system’s sub-systems and their requirements including hardware and software,
- Developing and continually refining the system acceptance strategy, and verification method for each system requirement (incl. Acceptance Management Plan),
- Ensuring the specification, design and acceptance are fully traceable,
- Leading with system testing,
- Deriving, defining and documenting testing for Integration, Acceptance, System Functional Test, System Harbour and Sea Acceptance Test procedures,
- Conducting integration testing,
- Conducting system testing (informal and formal).
Tools, S/W Packages and Equipment Used:
Use of development, target and test equipment as well as laboratories to perform engineering activities relating to allocated functional discipline.
Experience in the use of software tools:
- Essential: MS Windows, , MS Office (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook),
- Desirable: DOORS, Bugzilla/Jira, Windchill & IFS
Based at Loudwater. Occasional travel to Greenford or Weymouth sites and to supplier/ customer locations within the UK and overseas.
Please quote vacancy code NOV20184756 in your application.
Apply by 16/03/2019