About Ultra Electronics Command & Sonar Systems
Ultra Electronics Command & Sonar Systems (CSS) provides a variety of electronic products for military applications including naval, sonar, combat management systems, gun fire control systems, electro-optic systems, mine disposal systems, cameras, data distribution systems and weapon interfacing electronics. In addition CSS has moved into a Prime Contract Management role providing whole platform solutions.
Function of the Role
The Senior Software Engineer will be able to demonstrate the following specific skills in accordance with his/her own competency level.
Knowledgeable in most areas below, practitioner in some;
- Signal Processing, DSP – ideally in sonar or radar domain
- Expert at C++ programming.
- Parallel Multithreaded processing
- Requirement analysis and derivation of system requirements down to software sub-system.
- Architectural design, selection and implementation of real time, distributed designs and design patterns.
- Formal software design methodology (UML, OO…).
- Debugging environments
- Use of Unit Test frameworks and implementation of (automated) unit testing.
- Production of formal test procedures and conduct of associated testing activities.
- Production of formal software documentation throughout the whole lifecycle (planning, design, test, transition, manuals…).
- Configuration and setup of production tool chains with continuous integration work flow.
- Selection and Implementation of widely used development methodologies and lifecycles (agile, waterfall, V model, incremental).
The Purpose of the Role:
Within the domain of development of major sonar systems:
To support the software development lifecycle consisting of requirements analysis, design, implementation, test and verification in order to deliver software components into projects and products.
To work with analysts to develop sonar signal processing algorithms and subsequently implement, integrate, verify and optimise these algorithms on target systems.
To conduct software engineering activities, either alone on a small project or as part of a larger project team, adhering to Engineering Function processes or project specific tailoring of those processes.
Responsibilities / Accountability and Duties:
A Senior Software Engineer will be responsible for:
- Conducting Software Engineer tasks throughout the software lifecycle consisting of: o Derived Requirements Analysis
- Software Algorithm Development o Software Architectural Design
- Software Planning and Design Documentation
- Detailed Software Design
- Programming o Software Test Planning and Elaboration
- Algorithm verification
- Software Configuration and Build Management
- Training and Development o Maintain and develop your own functional skills relevant to the software discipline.
- Identify own training needs and develop your personal career path to support the personal development process.
- Process Compliance o Adhere to the company’s software engineering processes and procedures.
- Configuration and Data Management
- Use of software version control tools and issue tracking tools during software development.
- Delivery of software components into project and business level configuration and data management systems.
- Supports Bids by providing input on technical solutions estimates and plans.
A Senior Software Engineer will be accountable for:
- Understand the priorities of own project(s) and plan own work adequately to meet allocated delivery deadlines.
- Providing regular and clear technical progress reports to project management.
- Acting as a team player who recognises impact of own performance and behaviour in the wider team.
A Senior Software Engineer may also be required to undertake roles such as Project Engineering Lead, System or Sub-System Design Authority, Work Package Manager or Lab Manager for which there are separate role definitions with associated responsibilities and accountabilities.
Tools, Software Packages and Equipment Used:
Use of development, target and test equipment as well as laboratories to perform engineering activities relating to allocated functional discipline.
Familiarity with Matlab or other algorithmic\mathematical modelling tools would be an advantage.
Office based in Weymouth with working across all CSS operational sites on an occasional basis. Must be capable of achieving SC Clearance.
Please quote vacancy code OCT20182242 in your application.
Apply by 16/03/2019