Lead Software Engineer
Posted 286 days ago Apply by 01 March 2019
Team/Department: Airport Projects
Business Unit: Babcock Airports Limited
Hours of work: 37 per week
Main Purpose of Role
The Lead Software Engineer will manage a team of software engineers to deliver project(s) to requisite quality standards within time and budget. They will take responsibility for the delivery of the technical scope of the project throughout the complete project lifecycle from initial concept design through to handover and completion.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- To ensure your own safety and the safety of others at all times
- To Proactively report unsafe conditions, unsafe acts and near misses and to become part of the extra ordinary safety culture and help promote the “Home Safe Everyday” campaign.
- To present and behave in a professional manner at all times.
- To be supportive and respectful to others at all times.
- To contribute to a continuous improvement culture.
- To carry out Continual Professional Development (CPD) as necessary to maintain and enhance your competence.
- To Establish and maintain good communications (written and oral) with others at all times.
- Supporting the preparation and presentation of proposals and tenders, ensuring that sufficient design work is carried out to enable problem areas to be identified, technical risks minimised/identified and accurate cost estimates prepared.
- Reviewing client tender documents and/or contract documents and preparing a design brief, including any additional specifications necessary to ensure that the functional, technical, statutory, health, safety and environmental requirements, and the scope of work to be undertaken, are adequately defined by an engineering work breakdown structure for the project.
- Determining the requirements for Design Quality planning.
- Originating concepts and co-ordinating the direction of other staff in the preparation and evaluation of conceptual designs and proposals that will meet requirements and cost budgets.
- Reviewing the content of work to be undertaken in the project award stage, assessing software resource requirements and cost estimates.
- Examining the scope of required software work, identifying discrete work packages, generating task schedules, preparing detailed design plans and ensuring these align with overall programme requirements and identifying and agreeing resource and interface requirements and arrangements.
- Expanding the work breakdown structure and project programme where this will allow more accurate monitoring of spend and progress.
- Agreeing the man-hour budget and timescales for all software engineering tasks identified on the work breakdown structure with the Project Manager.
- Specifying, allocating or arranging the allocation of required software engineering work.
- Co-ordinating, supervising and, where required, undertaking the required software engineering work.
- Providing the day to day supervision and management of software engineering staff assigned to the project team, ensuring the activities are completed on time within budget, and at the required levels of quality.
- Regularly monitoring and accurately reporting the progress of all assigned software engineering work, including the provision of accurate “Estimates to Complete”.
- Regularly taking part in project review meetings with the Project Manager and with the Engineering management team
- Liaise with the client and suppliers, as agreed with the Project Manager.
- Liaise with the installation and commissioning teams.
- Assisting the Team Leader with the development of staff, including SQEP reviews, performance feedback and contributing to PDPs.
- Participating in audits when required and ensuring any resulting corrective actions are implemented.
- Leading the team in a manner that promotes collaborative working, contributions from all members and positive team spirit.
- Identifying change to the Project Manager and agreeing an appropriate way forward with the Project Manager to manage such change.
- Ensuring that risk assessments are carried out in accordance with operational procedures and statutory requirements.
- Ensuring that design record files for the project are properly initiated, maintained and completed in accordance with operational procedures and statutory health and safety requirements.
- Ability to plan and organise multiple workload requirements
- Ability to work to and manage defined deadlines within programme and budget
- Ability to lead a team of skilled engineers, providing technical guidance, project support, reporting, personal guidance and support.
- Be capable of demonstrating a structured approach to justifying key engineering decisions
Knowledge and Experience
- Experience of working with project teams and an understanding of the project management process
- At least 3 years’ experience in a technical lead role and leading teams of software engineers
- Designing and implementing mission critical high availability systems, preferably in an industrial automation environment
- Experience of generating requirements from client’s brief and decomposing into functional designs.
- At least 5 years Software Development Background and full software lifecycle experience using the following technologies:
- Unified Modeling Language (UML) toolset
- Agile, Waterfall and V model lifecycles
- Database schema design and associated SQL query experience.
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2008/2010 using C# as the programming language with the Microsoft dot net framework version 2.0 onwards.
- Web application programming using web services and ASP .NET
- Experience of working in an ISO 9001 / TickIT+ environment.
- Experience of working in an Agile environment.
- Experience of testing software systems and commissioning systems at customer sites
- Knowledge of Airline/Handler baggage operational processes
- Working knowledge of current legislative requirements as applied to software products (e.g. graphical user interface standards).
- Business Intelligence reporting and associated dashboard design capability
- Experience of performing similar roles in airports / logistics of materials handling
- Minimum of a degree in an engineering or computer science related discipline
Other Requirements and Skills
- Full airside pass or the ability to obtain one
Apply by 01/03/2019
Aerospace & Avionics
Minimum Degree Grade Required
Applicant needs to be eligible to work in the UKYes