The Institute of Healthcare Engineering and Estate Management (IHEEM) is a Professional Engineering Institute, a specialist institute for the Healthcare Estates Sector.
The Institute counts among its members employees of both public and private healthcare providers, as well as those employed in private sector engineering and consultancy firms and practices. Increasingly members come from a non-engineering background, many with facilities management experience.
IHEEM's primary purpose, as a professional development organisation, is to keep members up to date with developing technology and changing regulations, and various types of membership are available.
IHEEM provides a range of benefits to its members, including:
- Professional Recognition - members are entitled to use designatory letters after their name.
- Journal - "Health Estate Journal" the Institutes respected technical journal received 10 times a year which keeps members abreast of the latest technology in healthcare premises and any changes to compliance.
- Conferences - the well-known "Healthcare Estates" as well as local and regional conferences.
- Seminars - a range of one day seminars covering a range of topics of a technical and a topical nature
- Discounted Fees - IHEEM members receive a discount on IHEEM run and selected other events
- Branch Network - a facility for technical sessions and networking opportunities
As a professional engineering institute, IHEEM has a licence from the Engineering Council to register practising engineer members as Engineering Technician, Incorporated Engineer and Chartered Engineer. These also enable the use of designatory letters and are globally recognised marks of excellence within the Engineering Sector.
An important aspect of the work of the Institute is to provide opportunities for continuing professional development (CPD); all IHEEM run events are CPD accredited. Members should undertake CPD as a demonstration of their professional commitment as a matter of course and IHEEM has an on-line method of recording of CPD "MyPath" which is available via the website.
IHEEM also offers a range of corporate memberships, allowing companies working in the sector, PFI, NHS Trusts and Boards, and certain academic institutions the ability to enjoy a range of membership benefits.
The application process is straightforward and for personal members, the grade of membership is based upon qualifications and experience. A fast-track system of application review enables applicants to be notified of the result of their application at the earliest opportunity.