Sellafield Ltd has sites at Sellafield in West Cumbria and engineering, design and functional support capability are provided by employees based at our Risley office, near Warrington. Under the ownership of Nuclear Management Partners (NMP), we are safely delivering nuclear decommissioning, waste management and commercial operations and by continually raising our performance we will achieve the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority’s (NDA) vision to become the site and workforce of choice for potential new missions.
"What Nuclear Management Partners brings to Sellafield is a global network of nuclear experts who can, and have, complemented the highly skilled and experienced Sellafield Ltd workforce. Together we are challenging the norm, exploring new solutions and approaches to work and safely accelerating the rate at which we deliver to our customer." Tony Price, Managing Director.
The Sellafield site has been operational since the 1940’s, when it was used as a Royal Ordnance factory supporting the war effort. The site is also home to the world’s first commercial nuclear power station – Calder Hall, which generated electricity from 1956 to 2003. Today the site is home to a wide range of operations including the decommissioning of redundant buildings associated with site’s early defence work; spent fuel management including Magnox and Oxide fuel reprocessing; and the safe management and storage of nuclear waste. Hinton House hosts the engineering design capability supporting major development projects for Sellafield Ltd.
Other support functions based at Hinton House include Legal, Human Resources, Communications and Finance. Hinton House was named as a tribute to one of the world’s leading nuclear engineers – Lord Hinton of Bankside, who died in 1983. Christopher Hinton who played a major role in establishing the UK nuclear energy programme, set up the United Kingdom Atomic Energy Authority’s industrial group at Risley, Warrington.